Teacher Certification Program
What is Teacher Certification?
Harris County Department of Education provides the highest quality instruction and support for educators enrolled in our teacher alternative certification program.
Coursework sessions are conducted in classroom and blended settings with instructors who are content and pedagogy experts. Teacher candidates also spend time observing practicing classroom teachers in partnership schools before their paid internship begins.
Throughout the program, candidates are actively involved with the subject matter content and are provided a mentor at their campus. During the critical one-year internship period, candidates are supported by experienced field supervisors who assist them in content knowledge and instructional skills, leading to increased student achievement.
How to Apply
Before applying, make sure you have completed or have access to the following items/information:
- Completed Teacher Inquiries 2022-2023 form
- Completed application form
- A scanned copy of both sides of your driver’s license or other government-issued photo ID
- An electronic copy of your resume
- Your TEA ID number (if you have one)
- Three professional references (include name, title, email, and phone number for each reference)
- Your official transcripts (these will be sent directly to us from the college/university where you received your degree)
- Electronic/scanned copy of your unofficial transcripts granting your bachelor’s degree
(This will give us a chance to begin reviewing your coursework while waiting on your official transcripts. If you have graduate degrees, be sure to include them as well.)
- Electronic/scanned copy of your TOEFL scores to upload (if applicable)
When you are ready to apply, email all required documents to: CES@hcde-texas.org.
FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS
- Transcripts—Submission of all official (sealed) college transcripts—you may submit unofficial transcripts so we can get started on your transcript review, but we will need official transcripts prior to formal admission into the program (Texas law requires this). We will accept electronic transcripts if they are sent directly from the university.
- Completion of an undergraduate or graduate degree earned at an institution of higher education in a country outside of the United States approved by the State Board for Educator Certification (SBEC).
- Note: Be sure to tell the evaluation company you are applying for a teacher certification program and need a course by course list with grades, credit hours and GPA, so they complete the appropriate evaluation.
- TOEFL iBT – Individuals with degrees from universities in countries where English is not the official language must also submit TOEFL iBT scores, with passing scores of: Speaking 24; Listening 22; Reading 22; and Writing 21
Here is the link to register for the TOEFL iBT - The TOEFL Tests (ets.org)
Note: Individuals who have foreign degrees from countries in which English is the official language (pursuant to the Texas Administrative Code) are exempt from TOEFL iBT.
Center for Educator Success
A division of the Harris County Department of Education
6300 Irvington Blvd.
Houston, TX 77022
Fall Teacher Program Admissions Timeline
Teacher Program Process, Fees, and Payment
Additional Program Features
Areas of Certification
About Our Grants
Make a Payment