What is Teacher Certification?
Harris County Department of Education provides the highest quality instruction and support for educators enrolled in our teacher alternative certification program.
Coursework sessions are conducted in classroom and blended settings with instructors who are content and pedagogy experts. Teacher candidates also spend time observing practicing classroom teachers in partnership schools before their paid internship begins.
Throughout the program, candidates are actively involved with the subject matter content and are provided a mentor at their campus. During the critical one-year internship period, candidates are supported by experienced field supervisors who assist them in content knowledge and instructional skills, leading to increased student achievement.
2021-2022 Teacher Program Admissions Timeline
Spring 2022 Admissions
- Regular Application Opens: October 25, 2021
- Regular Deadline to Apply: January 10, 2022
- Program Starts: February 3, 2022
How to Apply
Before you click on the APPLY HERE link below, please make sure you have access to the following items/information:
- Scanned copy of your Driver’s License, both sides (you will need to upload)
- Electronic copy of Resume (you will need to upload)
- TEA ID Number, if you have one
- Three Professional References - Name, Title, Email, Phone #
- Optional: Electronic/scanned copy of your Unofficial Transcripts granting your bachelor’s degree, if you have them (you will need to upload). This will give us a chance to begin reviewing your coursework while we are awaiting your Official Transcripts. If you have master’s or higher degrees, please include them as well.
NOTE: You are still required to submit your Official Transcripts. For the details how, please see the directions in the online application system.
- Optional: Electronic/Scanned copy of your TOEFL scores, if applicable (you will need to upload)
To access our online automated application process, please click APPLY HERE.