COVID-19 (Novel Coronavirus)
Updated: March 31, 2021 - The Harris County Department of Education (HCDE) is closely monitoring the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), and is in contact with the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), Texas Department of State Health Services, and Houston Health Department to ensure all students and staff members are safe and updated with the latest information. Check back often for additional updates. The HCDE Exposure Control and Response Plan 2020-2021 is available to download.
Although there is currently no vaccination for this virus, the CDC has made recommendations to help prevent the spread of the virus.
What Can I Do?
- Wear a mask or face cloth.
- Cover coughs and sneezes.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds especially after you have been in a public place, or after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact; stay six feet away.
- Clean and disinfect.
- Monitor your health daily. If you feel ill, stay home and consult your medical provider.
Know How the Virus Spreads:
- The virus is thought to spread mainly from person-to-person.
- Between people who are in close contact with one another (within about 6 feet).
- Some recent studies have suggested that COVID-19 may be spread by people who are not showing symptoms.
Keep In Mind...
- Cloth face coverings should not be placed on young children under age 2, anyone who has trouble breathing, or is unconscious, incapacitated or otherwise unable to remove the mask without assistance.
- Do not use a facemask meant for a healthcare worker. Currently, surgical masks and N95 respirators are critical supplies that should be reserved for healthcare workers and other first responders.
- If you have additional questions, check out the resources below or contact your medical provider.
Need Additional Information Not Found Here?
Table of Additional Resources and Assistance
Things to Do As a Family Without Technology
School-Type of Resources for Parents and Students
Center for Disease Control (Updated Daily)
Harris County Public Health (Updated Daily)
Texas Health and Human Services (Updated Daily)
Covid19 Resources Sent to School Finance Council