The Harris County Department of Education formed the Cooperative for After-School Enrichment (CASE) in 1999, to mobilize the community to work together to ensure that every child in Harris County has access to an after-school program. CASE is endorsed by all 26 Houston/Harris County School Superintendents. After-school programs keep kids safe, help working families, and improve academic achievement.
|CASE Fact Sheet (PDF)|
Every child in Harris County will have access to a quality after-school program.
Strengthen, support and sustain after-school for all children.
External Evaluations of CASE programs have documented:
- Increases in Math and English standardized test scores
- Teacher reports of improved student preparation
- Teacher reports of improved student behavior
- Students feel safer after-school
- Students look forward to going to school
CASE believes that after-school programs are the place where parents, families and communities can come together to support the education and development of our children. CASE services are built on the following value sets:
- Engagement & Enrichment
- Safe Environment & Nurturing Relationships
- Community & Family
- Collaboration & Service
- Choice & Voice
CASE is moving forward to accomplish two goals:
- Increase the number and capacity of after-school programs
- Improve the quality of after-school programs in Houston/Harris County
CASE employs three strategies to achieve these goals:
- Enhancing Program Quality CASE promotes program quality and improvement by providing training and technical assistance to after-school providers and designing custom career based model projects through our Kids' Day series.
- Building Relationships and Expanding Resources CASE cultivates relationships with foundations, corporations, individual donors and after-school service providers to encourage collaboration and to foster a shared investment in our programs.
- Promoting Afterschool CASE raises awareness of the importance of afterschool through community events and services such as Lights On Afterschool!, our annual Partnership Fair and through an on-line clearinghouse, afterschoolzone.org.
|Projects funded by CASE|
For information on how you can get involved, call CASE at 713-696-1331.