HCDE Adult Education provides free classes and other educational services. With 20 years of experience, our service area includes 65 sites.
Adult Education courses include:
• Adult basic literacy and math skills
• English as a second language (ESL)
How to register:
Click the Map
for class locations and Class Schedule
to find information about upcoming classes and registration in your area. Register in person at the class site during the posted registration dates, call (713) 692-6216 or send an e-mail to
for more information. Use any photo ID for registration.
What we offer:
• Free classes in convenient locations and flexible schedules (morning, afternoon and evening)
• Highly qualified and trained teachers
• An adult-centered curriculum based on the Texas Adult Education Content Standards
• Individualized placement and progress evaluations
• Free textbooks for classroom use
• Access to computer aided instruction and distance education in some areas
• GED scholarships, GED graduation and Adult National Honor Society
• Individualized career, vocational, and college counseling
Ages to qualify for services?
At 18, you may register for classes on a first-come, first-served basis during scheduled registration. If you are 17, bring a copy of official withdrawal forms from public school and a letter of consent from your parent or guardian. At 16, you must submit a court order.
How do I get an adult education class in my area?
HCDE Adult Education collaborates with school districts, businesses, community organizations, religious institutions, and local government agencies. We provide services to adults within our service area encompassing 15 school districts. Districts we serve around Harris County are Alief, Channelview, Crosby, Cy-Fair, Deer Park, Galena Park, Goose Creek, Huffman, Katy, Klein, LaPorte, North Forest, Pasadena, Sheldon and Spring Branch. Call us to see if we can develop a partnership with your organization to bring classes to your area.
• Registration is in person on a first-come, first-served basis.
• Registration dates are listed in the schedule. Registration time is the same as the regular class time. (For example: If the class is from 6-9 p.m., registration is from 6-9 p.m. on scheduled days for registration.)
• Make sure you come to registration early on the first day of registration. Classes are typically filled the first day.
• For more information, call our main number (713) 692-6216. Do not call the school or church where we hold classes. Site personnel do not always have correct information about the adult education classes.
• Any form of picture ID will do for registration
More questions about Adult Education? Visit our Frequently Asked Questions